Friday, October 16, 2015

Me and The Nutty Tree

During my relentless pursuit of privacy screens and greens, I did make one observation. The Pacific Northwest is home to some of the largest damn trees you have ever seen (that's not the obvious observation), but what is--is that in my particular neighborhood folks don't seem to appreciate gigantic neighboring conifers dropping an endless supply of tree debris on their roofs. (but of course everyone is too darn nice to actually say anything about it).

Anyway, I decided to actually *try* to be a somewhat courteous new neighbor and embarked on a meticulous tree researching project. The result--voila! A well compiled list of non-offensive, drought tolerant, semi dwarf evergreens.

Specimen list in hand, I drove right over to my favorite nursery to peruse the inventory. Oh which happy dwarfs or semi dwarfs would join me?? Louie Pines? Reid jades? 
But alas, I have the attention span of a puppy-- 10 minutes into my evergreen shopping- I stumbled upon a cute little thing, something called an Italian Stone Pine. Did I mention this pine produces pine nuts!?? Yes, the owner told me--you'll have your own pine nuts! Ding, ding, ding--the wheels in my head started spinning--oh pine nuts are sooo expensive--this thing will save us money! I snatched up the specimen, stuffed it into my jeep and drove on home--not caring that of course a tree is never refundable.

I hit the computer to research more growing tips for my adorable pine and there it was:


A mid sized (!) stone pine in Italy. Oh this is not good. Where oh where, am I going to plant my little monster now???

No comments:

Post a Comment