Thursday, November 19, 2015

Counting Flowers on the Wall..

Skimming through a few news articles today, I came upon an opinion piece written by a content Stay at Home Mom (SAHM) of pre-teen age children. Even before I clicked to read the post, I was well aware that the content didn't really matter, as we all know it's really a set up. A set up for a good ole gun slinging mommy war! 
Sure enough, scrolling to the bottom of the article evoked the usual self-righteous lady responses: 
"Good for you that you can afford it!"
"I am volunteering, driving the elderly!"
"No, you are just getting rusty, good luck with that!"
"My kids are getting straight A's" 
"I can work 40 hours, clean the house and I am on the PTA" 
"We all know the kids are having sex at the working parent's home!"

 Blah, blah, heard it all before, back and forth it goes... 

But the re-occurring comment that got my little goat was : 
"so what do you Stay at Homes even do all day?" 
Ouch. Come on folks, have you no creativity at all? Who are these miscreants of society who don't even know how to entertain themselves?? Do these uber-workers really explode if someone doesn't deliver a daily 'To Do' list to their inbox?? 
I imagine a bunch of sad individuals without the ability to develop a hobby, passion, or at the least-- a clever little obsessive compulsive disorder!!
Consider, that some mommy blogger writing about being at home is already doing something called writing
Other pursuits I have encountered amongst the "at homes" include: reading books, (remember that?) taking online classes, updating and renovating their homes, yard work, photography, art, making soap, raising chickens, developing a craft business, canning, driving people around, knitting, organizing, posting weird stuff online, and of course the good old cooking and cleaning.
A harried working mom once made a comment to me regarding mowing her lawn, errands and doing laundry: "I don't have time for that crap" she said.
Well that's a great way to summarize some of what a stay at-home is up to.. Doing the crap! Someone has to...

No comments:

Post a Comment