Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Rules of Eco Behavior

It is well known that when moving to the Portland, OR area-- one must immediately begin to kick up their shtick. Perhaps grow an interesting beard, begin a new hobby like naked bike riding, insert small plates into the earlobes or just wear a T-shirt with "Sasquatch is my homeboy" on it.
Nevertheless, even if you don't have the "look" you must follow certain ecological rules of behavior.
1) Bugs are your friends. 
I learned this the hard way, when visiting a hotel pool with my son. Many children were around, and a large hornet (and yes, it was a flippin hornet!) was chasing the kids. So I squashed it, and proudly turned to the mom next to me stating: "that hornet won't threaten the kids now."
 Instead of the thank you I was naively expecting (as her own child had been running and screaming from said stinging critter) I receiving a seething: "how do you know that wasn't a bee?" "Did you just kill a honey bee??"
2) Garbage cans are for losers. 
Upon moving into our new home, we signed up for the silly suburban garbage plan. My husband simply selected the "standard option" and we awaited delivery of our trash receptacles.  Four were delivered in all, the first three being very large containers allocated for #1--recycling, #2--yard waste, #3--glass, and then tiny, tiny # 4--labeled "refuse". Certainly the yard waste container could fit a small elephant, but as hard as I tried-- could not stuff a small kitchen trash bag into our new "micro refuse container". Obviously, one can deduce what sort of behavior is encouraged here: beverages shall be unpasteurized milk in glass bottles or better yet--local micro brews from growlers. Allowable activities include trimming giant herbs and yucca trees, or rinsing out yogurt tubs for placement in the gigantic recycling bin. But don't ever, ever produce any garbage!
3) Green clean.
Trying to be helpful, I offered to clean a kids craft table that was covered with glue. Noticing that the other mom was using only a tissue soaked with water (?) I offered a crazy suggestion: "clorox wipes should get the glue off quickly." I might as well have said "let's go hurt puppies".  My incorrect use of speech was corrected with the mantra: "though shall only use vinegar". And make sure it is in a glass bottle!


No comments:

Post a Comment