Thursday, February 25, 2016

Allergic to the Suburbs

It's official. I have been diagnosed with a severe allergy to my immediate environment:  the suburbs.
The obvious culprit: endless lawn mowing, nosy neighbors, barking dogs and boredom.

Ok. Maybe not. But a long, long time ago, (back in the congested state of New Jersey) I struggled with eczema. Of course the medical community wanted to blame all sorts of benign factors for this skin condition: my pets, hand washing, blah, blah. But as I grew older--I noticed that when I would spend a few days up in the mountains, utilizing well or stream water my "condition" magically improved.
13 years in chilly Alaska--same result--miraculous improvement, practically no eczema whatsoever, even though I still enjoyed tons of hand washing, especially while tending to poultry in subarctic temperatures!
Now we have returned to what some people call (ahem) "civilization"--the lower 48. 
My arctic son is overjoyed by our new fangled "city plumbing" and the joys of using copious amounts of toilet paper without backing up a septic system... I, on the other hand, discovered my old enemy --eczema-- has slowly creeped its way back into my life! ugh.
 I had it checked out--and the verdict is in: it is an allergic form of eczema, and I am reacting to the who-knows-what-the-hell is in the water system. Although our "first world" water is amazing compared to the sludge running through some other countries pipes--most people don't even think about the fact that city water systems just can't flush every toxin out. So even the beautiful, clean H2O pouring out of the faucet has small amounts of pesticides, medical waste, fertilizer run off, and chlorine byproducts--all in there!

But it's ok. I have always know that suburban living made me itchy, and my water allergy at least serves as a good platform (i.e. excuse) to catapult back into the country ;-0

No comments:

Post a Comment