Tuesday, February 16, 2016

What Fresh Hell is This?

Middle age phone calls suck. Not phone calls from the Middle Ages, that would be odd and kind of fun. But the types of calls I tend to receive. I assume some people enjoy them. Probably most--certainly all the psycho friendly extroverts do, those that converse with anybody, anything all the freakin time. But that's not me.

In my case, I shudder when the phone rings. Usually I try to avoid it by hiding the contraption in some sort of drawer or pile where I will never find it in time. And it's not because I am being harassed by bill collectors or drug fiends. Quite the opposite. It is the little trivial phone calls that drive me bonkers. Everybody wants something.

"Can you watch my kids.... come exercise with me.... complete this survey about your plumber... can you volunteer at the school or just listen to my narrative about the ladies auxiliary??" All the while as I (the one who has been contacted) is expected to remain cheerful, positive, giving and uplifting!! Ugh. I don't want to be cheerful. I want to be snarky and curt.

I assume the day will come when I will miss these silly phone calls, and become a little old lady excited about political surveys. The again, maybe not-- I can always talk to the dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment